With Lil Wayne putting off Rikers for a month to get his dents straight (did I hear correctly that he had 8 root canals done at once?), I thought I’d reflect on the state of the rap game.
I mean, seriously, Lil Wayne is just the latest in a string of rappers, who at the top of their game, get sent up to the big house to do a bid.
Without much thought, any one of us can reel off at least 3 or 4 artists who have been hit with jail time for one infraction or another.
But I decided to do an informal survey and DAMN! there are quite a few artists currently doing bids (or who’ve done bids in the recent past), to wit:
- T.I. got a year and a day for a federal gun rap.
- Gucci Mane got 12 months for violating the terms of his 2005 assault conviction for not completing community service, failing drug tests and not getting permission to travel.
- Lil Wayne is set to do 8 months for a gun possession conviction.
- Flesh-N-Bone received 12 years for a gun possession charge.
- C-Murder got a life sentence for a second degree murder conviction. Life imitating art.
- Prodigy of Mobb Deep got 3 1/2 years for criminal possession of a loaded gun.
- Da Brat is doing 3 years for assaulting a waitress with a rum bottle. That was bratty.
- DMX has been in and out of jail. Most recently, he did 90 days for felony misdemeanor charges.
- Suge Knight has been in and out of jail over the past 15 years, including a recent incarceration for possession of marijuana.
- Lil Kim infamously received a year for perjury.
- Mystical was sentenced to 6 years for aggravated sexual assault.
- Remy Ma got 8 years for shooting her girl in the gut.
- Tru Life got a life sentence for murder. True Life. Get it?
- Shyne got 10 years for a gun rap.
- Beanie Sigel got a year and a day in 2004 for federal weapons charges, and a few months in 2008 for a parole violation.
- Pimp C received 5 years for aggravated assault with a gun.
- Royce Da 5’9″ got a year sentence in 2007 for a DUI conviction.
- Foxy Brown did 8 months in 2007/08 for violating her probation following an assault conviction.
- Turk from the Hot Boys got 12 years for his involvement in a shoot-em-up of a rival faction in Memphis.
- Black Rob got 7 years for armed robbery. Black robbed.
- The Game did 2 months for gun possession.
- Keith Murray got 39 months for assault.
- Styles P of the Lox received 8 months for a stabbing conviction.
- Cassidy received an 11 1/2 year sentence for murder.
- Tony Yayo of G-Unit fame received 1 year for a weapons charge.
- 2 Pac and ODB both did multiple stints in jail before their respective untimely demise.
I could go on an on with more obscure artists, but you get the picture.
Lil Wayne is not going to see any of the Live Nation money in jail, and the Cash Money/Young Money clique won’t have their golden boy headlining shows for the next 12 months (or 9 months with good behavior).
Gucci Mane can’t promote the album he just dropped from behind bars, and his sales will invariably suffer as a result.
Lil Kim did her bid and couldn’t lie her way into album sales.
Beanie’s all sour grapes and no sales.
Don’t these cats know that going to jail messes with your money?